College of Engineering
I joined the Department of Industrial Engineering, University of Arkansas, as an Assistant Professor from June 2017.
Before that, I was a Research Scientist at IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, New York (2015~2017), and IBM Research Collaboratory Singapore (2012~2015). My research focuses on engineering probability and statistics, spatio-temporal modeling, big data analytics, and various data-driven methodologies in broad areas such as quality and reliability, manufacturing yield prediction, preventive maintenance, urban air quality modeling, extreme weather events prediction, etc.
I also served as an Adjunct Assistant Professor at the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, National University of Singapore (2013-2015), and I am currently on the editorial board of Quality and Reliability Engineering International (Apr 2016~Present).
- Applied probability and statistics
- Spatio-temporal modeling
- Big data
- Statistical learning
- Reliability modeling and data analysis.
- Optimum planning and inference for reliability testing experiments.
- Degradation modeling and preventive maintenance.
- Yield prediction for silicon wafers based on sensor data.
- Environmental modeling: Urban air quality models; extreme weather events modeling
INEG 2313: Applied Probability and Statistics
Ph. D, Industrial and Systems Engineering, National University of Singapore
B.Eng, Mechanical Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology, China
- Liu, X., Gopal, V., and Kalagnanam, J. (2017), "A Spatio-Temporal Modeling Framework for Weather Radar Image Data in Tropical Southeast Asia", Annals of Applied Statistics, to appear.
- Liu, X., Yeo, K.M., Hwang, Y.D., Singh, J. and Kalagnanam, J. (2016) "A Statistical Modeling Approach for Air Quality Data Based on Physical Dispersion Processes and Its Application to Ozone Modeling", Annals of Applied Statistics, 10(2), 756-785.
- Liu, X. and Tang, L.C. (2016) "Reliability Analysis and Spares Provisioning for Repairable Systems with Dependent Failure Processes and Time-Varying Installed Base", IIE Transactions, 48, 43--56. (Featured in Industrial Engineer Magazine Dec 2015).
- Yeo, K., Hwang, Y., Liu, X. and Kalagnanam, J. (2016), "Stochastic OptimizationAlgorithm for Inverse Modeling of Air Pollution", Bulletin of the American Physical Society, 61.
- Singh, J., Yeo, K., Liu, X., Hosseini, R., and Kalagnanam, J. (2016), "Evaluation of WRF model seasonal forecasts for tropical region of Singapore", Advanced in Science and Research, 12, 69-72.
- Liu, X., Al-Khalifa. K., Elsayed, A.E., Coit, D.W, and Hamouda, A.M. (2014) "Criticality Measures for Components with Multi-Dimensional Degradation", IIE Transactions, 46, 987–998.
- Liu, X. and Tang, L.C. (2013) "Planning Accelerated Life Tests with Scheduled Inspections for Log-Location-Scale Distributions", IEEE Transactions on Reliability, 62(2), 515 - 526.
- Liu, X. (2012) "Planning of Accelerated Life Tests with Dependent Failure Modes Based on a Gamma Frailty Model", Technometrics, 54(4), 398-409. AMSTATNEWS: http://magazine.amstat.org/blog/2012/11/01/design-and-model-selection/
- Liu, X., Li, J.R., Al-Khalifa. K., Hamouda, A.M., Coit, D.W, and Elsayed, A.E., (2012) "Condition-Based Maintenance for Continuously Monitored Degrading Systems with Multiple Failure Modes", IIE Transactions, 45, 422-435, (Among the top 10 most read article in IIE Transactions as of Sep 2015; Featured in Industrial Engineer Magazine, Mar 2013)
- Liu, X. and Tang, L.C. (2012) "Analysis for Reliability Experiments under Blocking", Journal of Quality Technology and Quantitative Management, Special Issue: Reliability Modeling, Inference and Analysis, 10, 141-160.
- Liu, X. and Qiu, W.S. (2011) "Modelling and Planning of Step-Stress Accelerated Life Tests with Independent Competing Risks", IEEE Transactions on Reliability, 60(4), 712-720. Top accessed article of the journal in Jan 2012 (rank:2)
- Liu, X. and Tang, L.C. (2010) "Accelerated Life Test Plans for Repairable Systems with Multiple Independent Risk", IEEE Transactions on Reliability, 59(1), 115-127. (2010 National Semiconductor Gold Medal, ISE Department, National University of Singapore).
- Tang, L.C. and Liu, X. (2010) "Planning and Inference for a Sequential Accelerated Life Test", Journal of Quality Technology, 42(1), 103-118.
- Liu, X. and Tang, L.C. (2010) "A Bayesian Optimal Design for Accelerated Degradation Tests", Quality and Reliability Engineering International, 26(8), 863-875. Special Issue: Business and Industrial Statistics: Developments and Industrial Practices in Quality and Reliability.
- Liu, X. and Tang, L.C. (2010) "Planning Sequential Constant-Stress Accelerated Life Tests with Stepwise Loaded Auxiliary Acceleration Factor", Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 140(7), 1968-1985.
- Liu, X. and Tang, L.C. (2009) "A Sequential Constant-Stress Accelerated Life Testing Scheme and Its Bayesian Inference", Quality and Reliability Engineering International, 25(1), 91-109.
Editorial Board, Quality and Reliability Engineering International, 2016~present.