College of Engineering Announces Alumni Awards
The University of Arkansas College of Engineering will honor 11 alumni with College of Engineering Alumni Awards at its annual banquet on Saturday, April 13. The awards recognize graduates of the college who have demonstrated exceptional professional and personal accomplishments and made important contributions to their professions and communities.
The College of Engineering’s 2013 Alumni Awards banquet will be hosted at the Fayetteville Town Center.
“Our alumni are one of our college’s biggest strengths and their accomplishments speak directly to the quality of our academic program,” said Terry Martin, interim dean. “We are proud of all our alumni but this group is a sample of our very best.”
The recipient of the Distinguished Alumni Award from Industrial Engineering is Mr. Kent Burnett, B.S.I.E. 1968. Mr. Burnett is the Senior Vice President of IT at Dillard’s. He has been with the company for more than 30 years. Prior to Dillard’s, Mr. Burnett was employed with IBM. In addition to his professional activities he is also involved in many civic pursuits including serving on the Liaison Committee for the Industrial Engineering Department at the University of Arkansas; University of Arizona Business School Board of Advisors and he is the current President of the Blue Key Leadership Society.
Others to be recognized:
• Bill Brown, B.S.E.E. 1969 – Distinguished Professor emeritus, University of Arkansas
• Dennis Gardisser, B.S.A.E. 1979; M.S.A.E. 1981, Ph.D. 1992 – President, WRK of Arkansas, Lonoke
• Jeff Koenig, B.S.E.E. 1974 – President and CEO (retired), Upchurch Electrical Supply, Fayetteville
• C. Larry Weir, B.S.C.E. 1967, M.S.C.E. 1971 – Senior consultant, Hawkins-Weir Engineers Inc., Van Buren
• Chris Weiser, B.S.M.E. 1973 – Owner and president, JV Manufacturing, Springdale
The Outstanding Young Alumni Award recognizes exceptional professional and personal achievements of College of Engineering graduates who are 40 years of age and under. The 2013 recipients are:
• Dustin Beebe, B.S.Ch.E.1996 – President and chief executive officer, ProSys, Baton Rouge, La.
• Bryan Billingsley, B.S.I.E. 1997 – President, HEBCO Inc., Springdale
• Ben Hood, B.S.C.E.; B.S. 2002 – Chief technology officer, GridPotential, Washington, D.C.
• Gaven Smith, B.S.C.E. 2000 – Director of information services, J.B. Hunt
Release date: 4/12/2013