Assistant Professor - ENGR
College of Engineering
Personal webpage: https://sites.google.com/site/liuxiaosite1/
Dr. Xiao Liu is an Assistant Professor at the Department of Industrial Engineering, University of Arkansas. Before that, he was a Research Staff Member (RSM) at IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, New York (2015~2017), and IBM Smarter Cities Research Collaboratory Singapore (2012~2015). From 2013 to 2016, he served as an Adjunct Assistant Professor at the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, National University of Singapore. From 2011 to 2012, he worked as a postdoctoral researcher on a Qatar National Priorities Research Program project with Rutgers University (USA) and Qatar University (Qatar).
Dr. Liu's research focuses on the development and applications of "engineering-knowledge-based data analytics methodologies". His research has been published in peer-reviewed journals including Technometrics, Journal of Quality Technology, IISE Transactions, Annals of Applied Statistics, and among others.
"Engineering-knowledge-based data-driven methodologies" for scientific and engineering problems:
- Spatio-Temporal Models: statistical modeling of spatio-temporal data arising from physical convection-diffusion processes (e.g., urban air quality modeling and forecast, extreme weather events forecast based on radar image data, etc. )
- Reliability: statistical methods for reliability engineering (e.g., optimum design of reliability testing experiments, stochastic degradation models, condition-based predictive maintenance planning, etc.)
- Industrial Big Data: additive tree-based methods for large-scale recurrence data.
- Applied/Engineering Statistics
- Statistical Learning
- Reliability and Statistical Process Control
At University of Arkansas (2017~ ):
- Fall Semeter: INEG 2313: Applied Probability and Statistics (size: 80-100 undergraduate students)
- Spring Semeter: INEG 410V/514V: Statistical Learning and Applications for Industrial Problems (~ 30 undergraduate students; ~10 graduate students.
At National University of Singapore (2013~2016):
- Fall 2013, 2014, 2015 , IE5123 Reliability Engineering (Master of Science), Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, National University of Singapore.
- Semester II, 2014-2015, IE5122 Statistical Quality Control (Master of Science), Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, National University of Singapore.
At Qatar University (2011):
- Instructor, Semester II, 2011-2012, IENG320 Statistical Quality Control (undergraduate level), Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Qatar University.
- Instructor, Semester I, 2011-2012, IENG423 Design of Experiments (under graduate level), Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Qatar University.
Ph. D, Industrial and Systems Engineering, National University of Singapore
B.Eng, Mechanical Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology, China
Liu, X., and Pan, R. (2019), "Analysis of Large Heterogeneous Repairable System Reliability Data with Static System Attributes and Dynamic Sensor Measurement in Big Data Environment", Technometrics, accepted.
Yeo, K.M., Hwang, Y.D., Liu, X., and Kalagnanam, J. (2019), "Development of hp-inverse model by using generalized polynomial chaos", Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 347, 1-20. (Impact Factor: 4.441; 2/103 under Google Mathematics interdisciplinary applications).
- Bowen. S, Hippe, D, Chaovalitwongse, W., Duan, C., Thammasorn, P., Liu, X., Miyaoka, R., Vesselle, H., Kinahan, P., Rengan, R., and Zeng, J., (2019), "Forecast for Precision Oncology: predicting spatially variant and multiscale cancer therapy response on longitudinal quantitative molecular imaging," Clinical Cancer Research, to appear (impact factor: 10.199).
Liu, X., Yeo, K.M. and Kalagnanam, J. (2018), "A Statistical Modeling Approach for Spatio-Temporal Degradation Data", Journal of Quality Technology, 50, 166--182. Special issue on "reliability and maintenance modeling with big data".
Liu, X., Gopal, V., and Kalagnanam, J. (2018), "A Spatio-Temporal Modeling Framework for Weather Radar Image Data in Tropical Southeast Asia", The Annals of Applied Statistics, 12(1), 378-407.
Liu, X., Yeo, K.M., Hwang, Y.D., Singh, J. and Kalagnanam, J. (2016) "A Statistical Modeling Approach for Air Quality Data Based on Physical Dispersion Processes and Its Application to Ozone Modeling", The Annals of Applied Statistics, 10(2), 756-785.
Liu, X. and Tang, L.C. (2016) "Reliability Analysis and Spares Provisioning for Repairable Systems with Dependent Failure Processes and Time-Varying Installed Base", IIE Transactions, 48, 43--56. (Featured in Industrial Engineer Magazine Dec 2015).
Yeo, K., Hwang, Y., Liu, X. and Kalagnanam, J. (2016), "Stochastic Optimization Algorithm for Inverse Modeling of Air Pollution", Bulletin of the American Physical Society, 61.
Singh, J., Yeo, K., Liu, X., Hosseini, R., and Kalagnanam, J. (2016), "Evaluation of WRF model seasonal forecasts for tropical region of Singapore", Advanced in Science and Research, 12, 69-72.
Liu, X., Al-Khalifa. K., Elsayed, A.E., Coit, D.W, and Hamouda, A.M. (2014) "Criticality Measures for Components with Multi-Dimensional Degradation", IIE Transactions, 46, 987–998.
Liu, X. and Tang, L.C. (2013) "Planning Accelerated Life Tests with Scheduled Inspections for Log-Location-Scale Distributions", IEEE Transactions on Reliability, 62(2), 515 - 526.
Liu, X. (2012) "Planning of Accelerated Life Tests with Dependent Failure Modes Based on a Gamma Frailty Model", Technometrics, 54(4), 398-409. AMSTATNEWS: http://magazine.amstat.org/blog/2012/11/01/design-and-model-selection/
Liu, X., Li, J.R., Al-Khalifa. K., Hamouda, A.M., Coit, D.W, and Elsayed, A.E., (2012) "Condition-Based Maintenance for Continuously Monitored Degrading Systems with Multiple Failure Modes", IIE Transactions, 45, 422-435, (Among the top 10 most read article in IIE Transactions as of Sep 2015; Featured in Industrial Engineer Magazine, Mar 2013)
Liu, X. and Tang, L.C. (2012) "Analysis for Reliability Experiments under Blocking", Journal of Quality Technology and Quantitative Management, Special Issue: Reliability Modeling, Inference and Analysis, 10, 141-160.
Liu, X. and Qiu, W.S. (2011) "Modelling and Planning of Step-Stress Accelerated Life Tests with Independent Competing Risks", IEEE Transactions on Reliability, 60(4), 712-720. Top accessed article of the journal in Jan 2012 (rank:2)
Liu, X. and Tang, L.C. (2010) "Accelerated Life Test Plans for Repairable Systems with Multiple Independent Risk", IEEE Transactions on Reliability, 59(1), 115-127. (2010 National Semiconductor Gold Medal, ISE Department, National University of Singapore).
Tang, L.C. and Liu, X. (2010) "Planning and Inference for a Sequential Accelerated Life Test", Journal of Quality Technology, 42(1), 103-118.
Liu, X. and Tang, L.C. (2010) "A Bayesian Optimal Design for Accelerated Degradation Tests", Quality and Reliability Engineering International, 26(8), 863-875. Special Issue: Business and Industrial Statistics: Developments and Industrial Practices in Quality and Reliability.
Liu, X. and Tang, L.C. (2010) "Planning Sequential Constant-Stress Accelerated Life Tests with Stepwise Loaded Auxiliary Acceleration Factor", Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 140(7), 1968-1985.
Liu, X. and Tang, L.C. (2009) "A Sequential Constant-Stress Accelerated Life Testing Scheme and Its Bayesian Inference", Quality and Reliability Engineering International, 25(1), 91-109.
Kalagnanam, J. Liu, X., Yeo, K.M., and Zhou, Y.S., “Airborne particulate source detection system”. US Patent No.: 9995849, 2018/6/12.
Hwang, Y.D., Kalagnanam, J., Liu, X., and Yeo, K.M. “Detection algorithms for distributed emission sources of abnormal events”. US Patent Appl. No.: 20170147927A1 , 2017/05/25.
- Board of Directors, Data Analytics and Information Systems (DAIS) Division, IISE, 2019~present
- Council Member, QSR (Quality, Statistics and Reliability) Section, INFORMS, 2018-2020.
- Editorial Board Member, Quality and Reliability Engineering International, 2016~present.
- Conference Co-Chair (special/invited sessions), 2019 INFORMS Conference on Service Science, June 27-29, Nanjing, China.
- Program Committee, 2019 AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Jan 27-Feb 1, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Program Committee, The 3nd IEEE International Workshop on Big Spatial Data in conjunction with 2018 IEEE International Conference on Big Data (IEEE BigData 2018), Dec 10-13, 2018, Seattle, WA.
- Conference sub-committee, INFORMS 2018, Quality, Statistics and Reliability (QSR) section .
- Program Committee, The 12th International Conference on Reliability, Maintainability and Safety, Oct 17-19, 2018, Shanghai, China.
- Program Committee, The 2nd IEEE International Workshop on Big Spatial Data in conjunction with 2017 IEEE International Conference on Big Data (IEEE BigData 2017), Dec 11-14, 2017, Boston, MA.
- American Statistical Association (ASA)
- Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineer (IISE)
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
- 2018 Statistics in Physical Engineering Sciences (SPES) Award, American Statistical Association (ASA). (http://www.amstat.org/ASA/Your-Career/Awards/Statistics-in-Physical-Engineering-Sciences-Award.aspx)
- 2017 Best Paper Award, Prognostics and System Health Management Conference (PHM-Harbin).
- 2017 IBM Outstanding Technical Achievement Award for health monitoring and prediction for large-scale Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) projects with FLUOR.
- 2016 INFORMS Quality, Statistics and Reliability Section (QSR) Best Refereed Paper Award
- 2015 IBM Outstanding Technical Achievement Award for the Predictive Environmental Analytics System (PEAS) with the National Environmental Agency Singapore, 2012-2015.
- 2015 First Patent Application Invention Achievement Award for: Airborne Particulate Source Detection System.
- 2015 Global Business Services (GBS) Service Excellence Award (SEA) for the IBM-Micron pilot project.
- 2014 IBM Manager's Choice Award for the NEA project.
- 2011 Ralph A. Evans/P.K. McElroy Award for Best Paper (shared with my Ph. d advisor, Dr. Loon-Ching Tang) at the Annual Reliability and Maintainability Symposium 2012, Reno, Nevada, USA.
- 2010 National Semiconductor Gold Medal, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, National University of Singapore (http://www.ise.nus.edu.sg/msc_students/honourroll-year.html)